14 August 2011

Terrible 3s and Laundry Baskets (v4)

Aidan was never a "terrible" two year old. For him, he was most challenging from about 14-20 months. Back then, all he wanted to do was GO! GO! GO! and, with limited vocabulary, he was often described as a completely irrational little devil by his otherwise doting and loving parents - who, really, were just trying to keep him safe before he got himself killed or further maimed. Did I mention we had THREE trips to the ER during that time for stitches on his face? Enough said.

After that, his vocabulary picked up and he turned into an even-spirited, cooperative child who was really a joy to be around. I waited with baited breath for the "terrible twos" to begin, but they never came. Instead, I found myself raising a well spoken, miniature human who was easily reasoned with and generally happy to please. As I take my rosey-colored glasses off, I admit he wasn't "always" an angel...but for the most part, we sailed threw the past year - and I loved it. Best yet, I was aware that I was loving it.

And then he turned 3.

And, dear God, deliver me from this argumentative, pouty, if I ain't happy, then ain't nobody happy attitude. Who does he think he is? A teenager? Sorry buddy, but you need another decade on your shoulders to earn the right to torment me thus. I don't know what I need to do to get through to him, but I just hope he realizes that agreeableness will get him so much further than pitching fits before...before...before...oh, who am I kidding? I love my little man.


I just wish he'd stop fighting me at seemingly every turn. I know I'll look back on this time with a smile, but in the meantime, I need to find a new behavior modifier that works. I feel awfully silly arguing with a three year old.

More patience wouldn't be amiss, either. Yeah, lots of that, please.

And finally, as it is August, I give you our yearly Laundry Basket photo.

August 2011

(Click for 2010, and 2009 & 2008)

2 comments:

  1. I love the laundry basket series! Hopefully the "terrible 3s" won't last too long. Theo is the same, but I think parts of his behaviour are here to stay (was I really so foolish to think he wouldn't inherit stubbornness from me?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that laundry basket has lasted this long, but I'm glad you're enjoying it! We've been doing photos by his bedroom window at Christmas every year, too.

    And I don't know about Theo - he always looks the perfect gentlemen in all the pictures you take of him!

    ReplyDelete